City to furlough employees and reduce insurance ratio

The Cedartown City Commission recently approved a measure to ease the financial burden of the city during this difficult time of low revenues and high costs. City Manager Charles Akridge told WGAA News that all employees would take one furlough day a month and would also have a 75 to 25 ratio of insurance coverage, meaning that the city would pay 75% of the cost and the employee would pay for the remaining 25%. Akridge says he believes this is a fair deal considering what other extreme measure other municipalities are going to save money. Akridge also says that these two measures will save the city approximately $335,000 in the fiscal year. The furloughs and insurance changes were approved by the commission and will be in affect for the fiscal year 2010.