Gas prices are still falling even after oil prices increased during the tail-end of last week. Prices at the pump are dropping at a rate of about a half cent a day. The national average price for a gallon of regular unleaded is $1.83, 7 cents lower than a month ago, 21 cents lower than this time last year. (more…)
Cedartown, Ga. – January 14, 2015: Just three weeks into the New Year and the City of Cedartown has already crossed off one item on their 2016 capital improvement to-do list. (more…)
Polk County and several other metro counties has been placed in a Winter Weather Advisory until Saturday evening.
Snow, sleet and even some freezing rain is all possible for the area tonight and into Saturday morning.
“According to all the indications we’re getting from the National Weather Service, it will be later on this evening or tonight before we see any snow or ice,” said Randy Lacey, Polk County Public Safety Director. ”It will be mostly snow starting somewhere in the neighborhood of 7:00 or 8:00.”
Pictures are already flooding social media of snow in the northeast Georgia mountains and even into the far reaching metro suburbs.
Reports were coming in of flurries in the Cherokee County and Cobb County areas as of 5:00 p.m. today.
Lacey urges fire safety when heating your home with alternate methods in the event of a power failure. He says to avoid using kerosine heaters indoors without proper ventilation and not to use grills inside structures.
Stay with WGAA throughout the evening for the latest forecasts from the WGAA Weather Center and Meteorologist John Weatherby.
- Polk School District – Cedartown Girls and Boys Basketball games for Friday & Saturday are cancelled
- Floyd County Schools - all after school activities are canceled for today, including After School Care. (HometownHeadlines.com)
- Rome City School – after school activities cancelled for tonight and tomorrow. The Rome High SAT test scheduled for Saturday is canceled and rescheduled for Feb. 20.
- Darlington School – the SAT test scheduled for Saturday is canceled. A new date will be announced.
- Paulding County School District – Due to forecasted weather conditions, the Paulding County School District will release students two hours prior to their normal dismissal times.
- Bartow County Schools – All athletic events for tonight and tomorrow are cancelled. However, after school care will still be open and available.
- Excel Academy - closing at noon today
- Cobb County Schools – due to winter weather concerns, all Cobb County schools will be dismissing two hours early on Friday, January 22, 2016.
- Georgia Highlands College – Charger Basketball games moved to Sunday: The Charger basketball games versus Atlanta Metro College that are scheduled for Saturday have been re-scheduled for Sunday
- Georgia Northwestern Technical College - closing at noon
- University of West Georgia – closing at 2:00 p.m. today. Everything cancelled after this time.
- Kennesaw State University – closing at noon
- Chattahoochee Tech – closing at noon
- American Legion Post #86 – Friday night karaoke has been cancelled
- Cedartown Recreation Department – all basketball games are cancelled for Saturday, Jan. 23
- Harbin Clinic – OPEN AS USUAL
- Coosa Valley Credit Union – all branches closing at 5:00 p.m.
“The National Weather Service is looking at late Friday as a possible wintry mix,” said Polk County Public Safety Director Randy Lacey.
Just trace amounts of sleet fell in the area Wednesday morning before turning over to a steady cold rain for the afternoon, with the temperature hovering near 35º.
A Winter Storm Warning has already been issued for the Northeast Georgia Mountains and additional advisories and warnings could be issued for the rest of North Georgia as the time approaches.
Stay with WGAA for the latest forecast from Meteorologist John Weatherby, every half hour on the radio.
Residents of an area nursing home were transported to other facilities Wednesday after state and local officials were ordered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to shut down operations.
Rockmart Nursing and Rehab, located on Hunter Street, had already received a termination notice on January 8, effectively losing their ability to receive funding from Medicare and Medicaid.
Residents, at the time, had until February 7 to find another facility to move to before the termination order went into effect.
However, state officials issued an emergency shut down after it was revealed the parent company, New Beginnings Care, LLC, did not make payroll on Tuesday.
Residents were moved to several area facilities by ambulance and transport service vehicles all day Wednesday.
The shutdown comes weeks after an announcement of a new 86,000 square feet nursing facility planned for the Rockmart area.
Please send us any closings or delays for this afternoon or evening by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your organization/church name, your affiliation, and contact information.
- Lindsey Chapel Church (Cedartown) – evening services are cancelled
- First Baptist Church of Rockmart – all evening activities (prayer meeting, children & youth, adult choir) cancelled
- Darlington School – All afternoon and evening activities have been canceled. Please note that the college meeting for the junior class will be rescheduled at a later date. (from HometownHeadlines.com)
- Shorter University – all campuses and locations closing at noon because of the developing weather situation. Day and evening classes are cancelled for Wednesday, January 20
- Georgia Northwestern Technical College – all campuses closing at 11 a.m. due to weather conditions
- Pleasant Valley South Baptist Church – evening services are cancelled because of weather threat
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church – Wednesday Evening Parish School of Religion (PSR) classes and the RCIA class both held at the Parish School are cancelled for tonight
Some of the coldest air of the season has settled into the area, bringing dangerously low wind chill temperatures and the chance of snow and freezing rain.
A Winter Weather Advisory was issued for extreme North Georgia, which does not include Polk County. However, a National Weather Service report places the area in a risk for some accumulating snow and ice early Wednesday. (more…)
According to Sheriff Clark Millsap, early Friday (01-15-16) a Bartow County Sheriff’s Office deputy was dispatched to meet with a 34 year old female at Polk County Medical Center in Cedartown for a reported sexual assault. (more…)
Officers with the Polk County Drug Task Force arrested a Cedartown woman earlier this week after she allegedly stole several pain meds from residents at Winthrop at Polk Senior Care.
According to Polk County Jail records, 26-year-old Mary Elizabeth Melton was taken into custody on Sunday, December 27 on charges of possession of a schedule II controlled substance, possession of schedule II controlled substance with intent to distribute, theft by taking, drugs not in original container, and willfully failing to report abuse of disabled adult/elderly person.
Melton reportedly took pain meds from several residents at the senior living center over a period of time.
Melton is no longer employed by Winthrop.